Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A family of seven

Last fall my mom put her house on the market For Sale By Owner. In November she bought a lot to build on about 2 miles from our house. This spring she listed her house with a realtor and in July (after dropping the price a quite a bit) a couple made an offer and she sold her home. They close on it next Thursday. So now my mom will be homeless. No house, just a nice piece of dirt to call home. She didn't want to start builing her new home until the ink is dry on the closing papers and the money is in her bank account. (I really don't blame her - the market has been really crappy).

SO... my mom is moving in with us and will be staying for about 6 months - give or take. I am mixed about this. Of course I am more than happy to help out and get her into her new home and we really do have the room in our basement for her (just need to clean out the kids toy room and get her some space in my craft room for her clothes and her computer). And I absolutly promised my dad on his deathbed (literally) that I would take care of my mom. I really think that is why he finally let go. I would never renig on that promise, plus I love my mom too. BUT, mom is very different (almost difficult) since my dad died. She is very opinionated and because of the trauma from his drawn-out suffering and death, she has very little coping skills - she freaks out over anything and seriously everything. I'm not looking forward to walking on eggshells in my own home. I don't want our relationship to suffer and become strained during this time and I fear it might. My brother just laughed and said "good luck" when he found out she was coming to stay with me. I think I may be checking the progress of her home on a daily basis. Scott is less than enthused, but he made the same promise to my dad, so we are moving her belongings to our home this weekend. She's already called me twice today and reminded me to call her when I get the basement cleaned out (this week's project). I've told her for 2 weeks I am devoting the latter part of this week to getting it ready for her and I work Mon-Tues. I think she lays awake at night and stews about things she wants me to do, but I can't get to yet. Won't that be convenient to just tell me in person rather than call me with guilt.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Even though I totally knew today, that your mom was moving in with you, when i saw your title of your post my first thought was, "rachel's pregnant!" ha ha! looks like i've got baby on the mind.
I am sorry it is going to be a little bit of a stress to have her there living with you. but I am sure you will be blessed because of this. You are doing a very generous thing and Heavenly Father and your dad know this.
Good Luck!!

Kellie said...

You can have her go live in the loft...haha, jk. I agree with Jennie, although it might be hard and stressful at times, I'm sure she really appreciates the hospitality even if she's not showing it. And you will definitely see the blessings because of your generosity!

Tonya Joy said...

You are such a great person! You can get through this - and you'll definitely be blessed. Anytime you get stressed while she's living there just think of one or two of your teen moments - or think of labor - or think of your dad - there will be plenty of things to pull perspective back to where it should be.

Good luck and remember - it's a great opportunity for the kids to get to be around their grandma too.