Thursday, July 31, 2008

eBay Selling Tips

Keeping in the theme of this week's unintentional topic (and because one of my commenters asked me to) I will share some of my successful tips for eBay selling. I in NO way proclaim myself to be an expert, but I manage to make a nice re-sell amount in selling my kids outgrown clothing.

  • One of the most important things you should consider is your item's title. It only allows for 55 characters, so you have to choose your words wisely. This is how buyers will find your item, so it needs to include as many key words as possible. For example, I sell mostly children's clothes so I will list the name brand (Gymboree), product line (Sweet Cherries), clothing article (Dress Tights) and size (3 3T). Now I use up as much room as I have left to add extra stuff like the season (Fall Winter BTS - which stands for back to school), condition (EUC - which stands for excellent used condition), gender (girl), and a more descriptive word of what I am selling (LOT, outfit, or set).
  • Many people wonder should I sell my items individually or group them into a lot? I do both. If I have a piece that I feel will stand well on it's own, I don't add anything to it. Most buyers are looking for clothing for their kids because the season is changing or their child needs a different size, so they are likely looking to replace a large part of their child's wardrobe. Lots help your buyer get the most bang for their buck and can also attract a lot more interest since their is a variety of items being showcased.
  • Know when to sell. It seems silly to get out fall/winter things in July when it's 100+, but back to school is huge in July. I usually sell winter coats and Halloween costumes in August. Same with selling summer clothes in January/February - it's snowing and you are selling swimsuits and flip-flops. Don't forget Easter outfits in January too!
  • Sell brand names for the most part. I have the most luck with Gymboree and GAP by far. But now that Dallin is in bigger sizes, Abercrombie and Ralph Lauren are also good sellers. Old Navy and Children's Place (TCP) sell reasonably well too - especially when combined in lots with some of the other high end brands.
  • Be descriptive! Think of what you buy and what is important to know about purchasing used clothing. I include the following statement in every auction I put on eBay... All items are in new or excellent used condition, unless otherwise noted (no rips, stains or holes). I take great pride in my children’s items and am very picky – you will NOT be disappointed. Please read all descriptions carefully. Smoke free & pet free home.
  • Start your pricing low with no reserves. Yes, it is a gamble if you will get the amount you are hoping for - and you won't always get it! But, buyers are far more likely to pay attention to your item if they think they are getting a good deal - and as people bid it creates interest and others will want to see why your item is so popular (cause they don't want to miss a good deal either!).
  • Take the best pictures - I lay my clothing out on the floor in a brightly lit room. Arrange matching outfits together and show close-ups of details. You can purchase picture packages when you sell on eBay - I take full advantage of this option.
  • Communicate with your buyers. I check my eBay messages multiple times daily when I have items for sale. Fast responses are always appreciated and give you credibility. I also send out a message confirming I have received their payment and their item has been shipped. ***And always remember to leave appropriate feedback!!!*** Feedback is gold on eBay and both buyers and sellers deserve feedback to add to their overall eBay ratings.
  • Invest in a postage scale. It saves time and money to know exactly what your items weight so you can charge the appropriate shipping. Be sure to factor in packaging/handling costs such as eBay fees, Paypal fees and/or package materials. I keep this at a minimum though.
  • Get a Paypal account. It is safe and it makes money transferring very easy for you and your buyers. I don't buy from people who don't have Paypal accounts.I love to use flat rate mailing boxes. For a set price (currently $9.80) you can mail up to 70 pounds in a designated box. It is the same price no matter where you send it in the US (international rates are higher, but it is a good option if you sell outside the US).
  • If you are selling lighter items, use the lightest weight packaging possible - usually a large manila envelope or a Tyvek bag.

Hope this helps! I'd be interested in hearing how some of you do in selling your items - and maybe you have some additional tips that would help me too! Oh, and put a link on your blog if you are selling, you never know where a potential buyer may come from, plus we'd all love to see what you are doing! Happy selling!!!

3 comments:

Annemarie said...

I've been doing some of that & the new info is very helpful. I ALWAYS seem to get jipped on shipping..I did buy a template (from ebay) it was like 3.00 and can be used over & over again & when you load your pics to photo bucket you can use them on the template for no extra charge. So...you only have to pay for one pic with ebay but can sell using lots of {big} pics. I'm going to give it another go...this was very helpful. I never know when in the season to sell stuff...now I know!! THANKS!!

Rachel said...

$3 is a great price for a template - do you remember who the seller was? I'd like to check it out!

Annemarie said...

The seller was Princess Jewels, but I just looked it up & they are no longer registered users on ebay. I remember there being quite a few different sellers, though.