Monday, June 30, 2008

Girls Camp

This morning I dropped Kesley off for girl's camp with our stake. She was less than thrilled about it, which made me really sad. I LOVED camp when I was her age and have so many fun memories with my ward and my friends. She was almost in tears as I left her there. It seriously broke my heart and I have thought about her ALL day long.

My prayer is that she will grow closer to some of the girl's in our ward. They have been pretty judgemental of the "new girl" and I admit some if it is her own fault, but I wish she would just be accepted for who she is, faults and all. It's hard as a parent not to go up to them in the hall at church and say, "Hey, can't you see Kesley is really struggling and she really needs some friends to love and include her right now - get over there and be my child's friend!" I don't think that would go over very well.

Another issue is... a few months ago the YW leaders were changed in our ward and Kelsey is having a hard time bonding with the new ones. I'm hoping camp will forcefully give her the opportunity to get to know them better - and vice versa. She's like Scott - hates change, but she goes one step further - she practically protests change by putting up a huge wall. It's really hard to break through.

Finally, I know she still has a testimony. It's in there somewhere. She resists going to church and talks negitively about the gospel, but I know so much of it is to get a rise out of us. I find when I ignore it, she actually lets it go fairly easily. I am praying for some spiritual experiences for her as she goes through this week. I know they have some incredible things planned. I hope she will be open and receptive.

So, if you have a moment, please say a small prayer for Kesley at girl's camp this week. I'll update how it went for her when she gets home Friday. Thanks.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I hope she has a good time! That would be hard to be the "new girl". Hopefully she has a smile on her face on Friday.

bottspot said...

Hopefully she will have some of the great camp experiences I had growing up. It would be hard when you feel you are an outsider. My prayers are with you and Kesley.

Jennie said...

i swear all of my girls camps i felt the spirit even if i really didn't want to. I will be praying for her to be accepted and to feel the spirit of the Holy Ghost.