Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Orange Buttermilk Pancakes (& Syrup!)

I love having breakfast for dinner and this recipe is one of my favorites right now. It is by no means low fat or low cal - especially when you add the syrup, but it is SO good! It would make a great breakfast in bed for Father's Day too...

OrAnGe BuTtErMiLk PaNcAkEs

2 1/4 cups flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp finely grated orange peel
1 cup orange juice
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp cooking oil

  1. Combine flour & other dry ingredients in large bowl, add orange peel. In anther bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir in orange juice mixture into flour mixture - should still be slightly lumpy.
  2. Heat lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet on medium heat. For each pancake pour about 1/4 cup batter. Cook until golden; turn when tops are bubbly & edges are slightly dry (1 to 2 minutes per side). Makes 16 pancakes.

My SIL Jennie gave me the following recipe for creamy buttermilk syrup. I could drink this syrup it is SO good and paired with these pancakes is heavenly.

CrEaMy BuTtErMiLk SyRuP

1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 tsp corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda

  1. Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter & corn syrup in heavy saucepan; bring to boil; boil for 5 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat and add vanilla & baking soda.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

YUMMMM! I was just trying to think of something for dinner and nothing sounded good...till I read this. I'm going to try them!

Tasha said...

they sound really good. I will have to try them!

Jennie said...

hey thanks for the shout out for the syrup. I appreciate it. ha